Sunday, August 25, 2013

Old man running is writing again!



Well hello everyone. It really, really, has been a long time since I wrote my last blog. In fact, I had written a race report on my 50 mile SF. North Face Endurance Race, back in Dec of 2012, which never was posted. The entire report was some how deleted, I blamed Google, still do. Anywho that was my last…. I stopped writing.


      
My finish at NFER 2012

But Hey! Here I am now. Back at the key board ready to WOW you with my words of wisdom and candid observations of the word as I see it, but mostly to talk about running.

A lot of things have been going on and I’m not going to try and condense a year of running into a few paragraphs, however, I am going to talk about the biggest thing I’ve done since the last time I wrote my blog.  That is…… drum roll please!

First! Let me give you a little back ground. I have always worked with my hands, as a carpenter, a wielder, a machinist, artist. I’ve been to collage, studied art and architecture, later I went to school and became a CMT, which is the work I do now.  The point is I understand how things are constructed, the kinesiology of the body and how it functions. Why is this important? because, three years ago I started running.  I started running and like all new runners I went and bought running shoes. Arch support; heal cushioning, stabilization, cool. I’ve got $135.00 dollar running shoes!  But as I was leaving that store something in my head was not liking something. Arch support?

Fast forward a year. I have really bad shin pain on my left leg. It hurts to run for the first three miles. I take three weeks off. The day I start running again, at mile one, my shin starts hurting. I’m so pissed off! I stop and loosen the shoe lace, on my left shoe, as lose as I can and still keep my shoe on, then I start running again. I’ll be dammed! The pain went away. So what happened when I loosened my shoelaces?   Well in a nut shell what I did was release the tension that was preventing the tendons along the top of my foot from doing their job.  The tendons along the top of our foot are meant to move, much like a cable on you ten speed bike.  Shoe laces bind the foot and the tendons, preventing them from moving freely. As a result the muscle along the shin is pulled and in time it tears. Muscle expands and contracts, tendons slide back and forth. Something is very wrong.

Okay so here it comes. “Born to Run”.  Yes I read the book and I, for one, will not apologize for it.  I read the book and I saw the light. All the thoughts I had about my shoes and arch support. How laces bind the foot. Blisters and lost toe nails. It was all right there. I knew it! I liken the reading of this book to Plato's Allegory of The Cave.  I have seen the light and there is no going back.

Okay. I’m not going to get all into the science of the foot and all that. I will, however, tell you that I put things to the test. If running in shoes under $50 bucks has shown statistically to have fewer injuries then let’s try running in converse. I did. I ran the Ohlone Wilderness Trail 50k, in $50 dollar converse. I did great. My shin was fine, I was fine but more importantly the book was on to something.

So let’s have that drum roll again please!    

YES! I am running barefoot. 
 My one and only barefoot-barefoot 5 mile run.



                                                                  




Well I’m running in Vibram. But I have been running Vibram for a little over a year now and I am finally use to running on any terrain. It took awhile to get use to running barefooted but now that I am use to it I can’t go back. And I mean I literally can’t go back. I tried to wear shoes a few weeks back and my toes blow-up. The shape of my foot has changed. This is what I want everyone to do. Think back. Have you ever seen, in nature, or in architecture, an arch that was supported from underneath? Arch support is an oxymoron. There is NO such thing!
Mugging for the photo at the GG 100 sporting my Vibram


Anyway that is where I’m at. As for my up coming runs I have the “Head land 100 miler on Sept 14th and 15th. I have been nursing a torn patella tendon on my right knee, which I injured at my last 100 mile attempt this past Aug.  I’m counting on my running barefooted to keep me from hurting myself further. I have sooo much to say about my journey into barefoot running, but not today.  For now I’m going to post this and get back on the blog horse. I’ll be writing more soon and I hope to see you all out on the trails. ~Paul  

No comments:

Post a Comment