Monday, June 4, 2012

Mt. Diablo- The Devil Mountain

June 1st is my birthday. I turned 55 years old this year, and to celebrate, I decided to run the Mt. Diablo 60k ultra. Mt. Diablo is located in Livermore Ca. and is called "The Devil Mountain" for good reason. At this time of year the average temp is 85 to 90 degrees, and running on the western side of the beast you could add 5 or more degrees to that. The real Devil, however, is in the climb. And this race has over 10,000 foot of climb!

We started on the eastern side of  Mt. Diablo at 7am. The first 7 miles took me up, over single track trails, to the first aid station, at Juniper camp. I have to tell you all, I have run the halve marathon to the top and back down, but this was not the same route at all! It was all single track trails. Steep, technical, and very demanding, this was not the fire road of the year before, why at one point I had to climb down the trail! Still by the time I reached Juniper camp I was feeling pretty good, I had to hit the can and I had to change socks, the ones I had on were too small and were slipping down my foot. Luckily I had my trusty crew and sweety, Amy, to lend a hand, and get me on my way. I made it to the top at, 3750 feet. A little note here. There was a cut off time of 8 hours at mile 30. My fastest time at the 50k is 7:23. Did I really think I was going to make the cut off? Well I was trying. To that end, I have to say, I ran almost the entire way, from the start up to the very top. I was kicking ass, in my own little world, but still.



From the top I headed back to Juniper camp. Let me tell you, the thing about running Mt. Diablo is that every trail that goes up comes down, and every trail that goes down goes back up! So that was the run from Juniper camp to camel rock aid station, 4.2 miles all down hill, fellowed by a 5 mile loop over rolling hills and then the 5 mile return, via rock city. I had been running hard, pushing the hills and trying to take advantage the down grades. I was watching my salt intake drinking lots of water, trying to keep up my cliff shots, but still I pulled a cramp along the inside on my left thigh that stopped me in my tracks. It took a lot of effort on my part to work out the cramp. I was holding my leg, driving a thumb into the cramp, and breaking out two salt taps at the same time, man if anyone would have seen me, I wouldn't have blamed them for laughing. But it wasn't funny! This was also around the time that I threw-up for the first time. I don't understand why that happens, but it really kicks my butt, and made an already difficult run that much harder. I also had this dam cut off time facing me.I knew the numbers didn't look good, but I still managed to hold my head up and kept on running. I threw up two more times before I pulled into Rock City.

All I wanted when I got to Rock City aid station was ice. And I'll be dammed! None! I filled my pack and hand held with water and got out of there. I was not doing well at all. My tummy was not settling down and it was a steep 6.2 mile climb back to Juniper camp. At one point I found myself needing to sit down, but the clock was pushing me on. I wasn't going to make the cut off, but it was going to be close. I made it into Juniper Camp, but I was in bad shape.  I was told that I missed the cutoff, but that he wouldn't stop me, if I wanted to keep going. I said, "I don't know if I can make it. But I'd hate myself tomorrow if I don't try". And so I headed for the summit, but it wasn't good. I was getting sick every ten minuets, and by the time I made it to the summit, I was barely able to stand. Amy knew I wasn't looking good when I left her at Juniper Camp. She took it upon herself to drive to the summit "just in case". That's where she found me. Heaving-up, hands on my knees, shaking like a leaf. I just wasn't okay.

I'm 55 years old, and I'm not a fool. I had 8 miles of some very hard down hill with no aid stations until the finish line, left to go. I couldn't hold anything down, I was shanky and light headed, and the last thing I want to do is have a heart attact, or fall off the side of the trail and break my crown. No I was done. Amy put me in the car and I was finished. I'm okay with my decision. I know that I will come back and face all my DNF's. I ran my ass off. I got to the cut off at 3:45, that's a 50k on Mt. Diablo in 8.5 hours. Ohlone 50k was done in 9.5, and like I said, my best 50k was 7hours 23 minutes. This was a big improvement. I had to climb almost 10,000 feet of hard trails. It was a great day. I felt great, My shoes worked real well. I was strong, and I had one of the best runs I had ever had. Yet I did not finish. I guess if the finish line is what determines a winner, I lost. But if running your best, giving all you have, pushing to the end, is what determines a winner, well then I took first place.   So From where I stand I had a great birthday, There are many more run to come, and some, I'm sure, will be even harder then Mt Diablo. See you on the trails. 

1 comment:

  1. Way to muscle through the distance that you did, I haven't done this race, but I looked at the course profile and elevation-seriously intimidating! I'm impressed by anyone who attempted this course.

    ReplyDelete